Roland TAIKO-1 Electronic Taiko Percussion: Classic Japanese Percussion, Infused with Modern Technology
Japan's historic taiko drumming tradition has been deeply woven into the country's culture since ancient times. Taiko drums -- also known as "wadaiko" -- are an integral part of traditional Japanese performing arts and rituals, and are regularly played at local events and festivals. As a Japanese company, Roland has always had great respect for taiko culture, maintaining a strong desire to contribute to the tradition by helping bring the dedication and artistry of traditional Japanese music to a wider audience.
Born and made in Japan, the groundbreaking TAIKO-1 electronic percussion instrument infuses the classic taiko experience with the many benefits of modern music technology, making playing Japanese percussion more fun and accessible than ever before. Backed by decades of development knowledge behind leading products like V-Drums and the ELCajon EC-10, TAIKO-1 brings the power and convenience of Roland electronic percussion to taiko enthusiasts everywhere.
- Premium electronic taiko instrument, based on the katsugi okedo daiko
- Versatile sound engine provides a wide selection of Japanese percussion instruments, including okedo daiko, nagado daiko, shime daiko, and more
- Dual-zone, three-ply mesh heads on both ends provide natural playability and acoustically quiet performance for practice with headphones
- Roland's positional sensing technology accurately reproduces natural tonal differences across the playing surfaces
- 35 cm in diameter, about the same size as a 1.5 shaku okedo taiko
- Weighs 4.5 kg/9 lb., similar to a normal katsugi okedo daiko
- Quick and simple disassembly for carrying convenience
- Play your own sounds by importing WAV audio via USB memory
- Drum for up to five hours with eight AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries
- Built-in ji-uchi backing patterns for practice and performance
- Bluetooth function for playing along with music wirelessly from your smartphone
- Fits on a standard taiko stand for fuse-uchi playing styles (drum vertical on the floor)
A Taiko Instrument for Everyone
Over a million people in Japan play the taiko, and the instrument's popularity is spreading around the globe. However, the giant sound, large physical size, and regular maintenance needs of taiko drums make them impossible for many people to play and learn. Professional taiko performers face challenges as well, as the drums are hard to carry and costly to ship. And getting consistently good sound in different venues is also difficult.
In 2017, Roland partnered with Kodo, Japan's world-renowned taiko performing arts group, with a vision to free taiko players from these obstacles and expand the creative possibilities of taiko music. Completed to coincide with the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, we are proud to introduce TAIKO-1 and share our passion for Japanese drums with the world.
The Most Versatile Taiko Drum Ever
TAIKO-1's physical design is based on the katsugi okedo daiko, a popular taiko drum carried with a sling over the shoulder. But the modern digital sound engine takes its range far beyond the capabilities of any acoustic drum, allowing you to play a wide variety of taiko percussion sounds with one instrument.
Explore a Variety of Japanese Percussion Instruments
Taiko drums come in many different sizes and shapes, and TAIKO-1 puts them all at your fingertips. The okedo daiko is on board, along with the familiar nagado daiko, the smaller shime taiko, and the enormous odaiko, which produces a massive, thunderous voice. Other sounds include different bachi (stick) variations, chappa (a pair of small cymbals), hyoshigi (a pair of wooden blocks), and layered drumline sounds, plus fun shouts and calls that are common in taiko performances.
Unlimited Dynamics and Expression
Thanks to dual-zone trigger technology with positional sensing, you're able to get a wide variety of tones from just one drum. Center hits are punchy and full, while playing slightly off center provides longer tones. And when you want a crisper sound, simply play near the edge. Playing velocities are perfectly translated too, providing unrestricted dynamic expression.
Practice Quietly at Home
TAIKO-1 lets you practice anytime and anywhere, something that's impossible with a traditional taiko drum. Specially designed mesh heads provide a familiar, natural feel while keeping the physical noise extremely low -- plug in headphones and enjoy big, dynamic taiko tones with barely a whisper heard by family members and neighbors. Ji-uchi patterns -- commonly played as backing rhythms in taiko ensembles -- are also available for both timing practice and performance accompaniment.
TAIKO-1 weighs 4.5 kg/9 lb., about the same as a normal katsugi okedo daiko. But unlike a traditional taiko instrument, TAIKO-1 can be quickly disassembled for carrying in a small vehicle or on public transportation. When it's time for a gig or rehearsal, simply remove the eight middle rods connecting the two heads and be on your way!
Play Your Own Sounds
It's also possible to customize TAIKO-1 by importing your own WAV sounds via a USB flash drive. Import personal recordings of a taiko instrument you own, or take advantage of the many third-party sounds available. Or get adventurous with non-taiko sounds and blaze new trails with TAIKO-1's expressive playability. Imported sounds can be played on their own or layered with internal instruments to create unique blended voices.
Enhanced Mobility with Battery Power
Play for up to five hours on eight AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries, with no need to fuss with external power. And by connecting TAIKO-1's audio output to a wireless system such as the BOSS WL series, you're free to roam the stage with no cables to get in your way.
Stream Music via Bluetooth
With onboard Bluetooth support, it's easy to energize your playing sessions with backing music and lesson content. Wirelessly stream music from a smartphone to TAIKO-1, and then listen through headphones or a connected speaker. Play with favorite songs, learn new skills with tutorial videos, or practice with rehearsal recordings to get ready for your taiko group's next performance.
The taiko: a traditional Japanese drum with limitless rhythmic possibilities. Kodo's mission is to explore these possibilities, and in the process forge new directions for a vibrant living art form. Since the group's debut at Berliner Festspiele in 1981, Kodo has given over 6,500 performances in 50 countries on five continents. This figure includes 4,000 performances under the "One Earth" banner, a theme that embodies Kodo's desire to transcend language and cultural boundaries, all while reminding their audiences of the common bonds we all share as human beings.
In addition to its theater schedule, Kodo enjoys working with thousands of school children across Japan through its ongoing "School Workshop Performance" tours. The ensemble also participates in a wide range of projects and events, which includes headlining major international festivals, contributing to motion picture soundtracks, and collaborating with a wide variety of global performing arts leaders.
- Pads: 14 inches(Head/Rim) x2
- Drums kit: 100 (Preset: 50)
- Instruments: more than 100
- User Sample Import: Number of User Sample: Maximum 500 | Sound Length (total): 24 minutes in mono, 12 minutes in stereo | File formats that can be loaded: WAV (44.1 kHz, 16 bits, Stereo/Mono)
- Kit Chains: 16 chains (32step per chain)
- Effect: more than 20 types
- Bluetooth: Supported standards: Bluetooth Ver 4.2 | Supported profile: A2DP (Audio), GATT (MIDI over Bluetooth Low Energy) | Codec: SBC (Support to the content protection of the SCMS-T method)
- Display: Graphic LCD 128 x 64 dots
- External Memory: USB Flash drive (sold separately)
- Connectors: OUTPUT jack x 1: 1/4-inch phone type, PHONES jack x 1: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type, MIX IN jack x 1: Stereo 1/4-inch phone type, TRIGGER INPUT connector x 2 (Original), FOOT SW jack x 1: 1/4-inch TRS phone type, Foot pedal jacks x2, USB Memory Port x 1, USB COMPUTER jack(MIDI) x 1: USB Mirco B type, DC IN jack x 1
- Power Supply: AC adaptor (DC 12 V) or AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries x 8, Alkaline and Carbon-zinc batteries cannot be used.
- Current draw: 500mA (DC IN)
- Battery Life for Continuous Use: AA rechargeable Ni-MH batteries: Maximum 5 hours, This figure will vary depending on the actual conditions of use.
- Accessories: Owner's manual, AC adaptor
Size and Weight
- Width: 430mm | 16-59/64 inch
- Depth: 430mm | 16-59/64 inch
- Height: 521mm | 20-33/64 inch
- Weight: 4.5Kg | 9lb 14oz (excluding AC adaptor)